The PADI Divemaster is the first step on the PADI Professional Diving Ladder and it is also one of the most enjoyable and satisfying jobs available in recreational diving.
Here at Sail Rock Divers the PADI Divemaster Course is conducted in a relaxed and social manner. It is the perfect opportunity for people who want to take their diving skills and experience to the next level. The course can also be great for backpackers who want to achieve their Divemaster certification as a stop off during their travels. Participating on a PADI Divemaster course gives you the amazing opportunity to spend a couple of months here on Koh Phangan, Thailand.
Structure of the PADI Divemaster Course
PADI Divemaster is as flexible and usually ranges from 4 – 12 weeks.
The program involves three parts:
- Expert level scuba diving theory
- Scuba skills and ‘watermanship’ exercises
- A practical Divemaster internship where you join Sail Rock Divers Staff assisting with real customers
The Divemaster theory covers all important topics including physics, physiology, decompression theory, scuba diving equipment and other related concepts. They are taught in classroom sessions with time for self study in advance. Our instructors will provide you with lots of practice questions to ensure you understand everything fully.
As a PADI Divemaster you’ll be able and certified to:
- Lead dive trips and tours
- Act as certified instructional assistant to PADI Instructors
- Teach skills in the pool under the direct supervision of an Instructor
- Conduct the PADI ReActivate program for certified divers
- Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers.
- Teach Snorkeling skills
- Generally supervise both training and no training related diving activities by planning, organizing and directing dives
- Enroll in the PADI diving Instructor level training
The Divemaster in-water skills and stamina exercises include completing:
- 100m tired diver tow – both divers in full equipment/push or tow
- 400m swim – (in one go, with no stops, no swimming aids)
- 800m swim (no overhand strokes) with mask, snorkel and fins
- 15 minute tread water
- Rescue evaluation
- General diving skills
- Developing the 24 Open Water Diver skills to demonstration quality.
- Certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver and PADI Rescue Diver (or equivalent).
- Be a minimum of 18 years old
- Medically evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within 12 months.
- Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training with in 24 months.
- Have a minimum of 40 logged dives. (Please note if you do not currently have 40 logged dives we offer any additional dives at no extra cost.
The dive master in-water skills we will be completed over a number of different skill circuits. Additionally you will also have to prepare an Emergency Assistance Plan and a dive map for a local dive site of your choice. The dive map can be completed over multiple dives.
The swim test is nothing to be concerned about – basic fitness is sufficient to pass the test! You’ll also undertake an underwater problem solving exercise plus you will demonstrate ‘instructor standard’ rescue skills.
The internship component of the PADI divemaster course is the best part of the whole education.
Throughout the divemaster course you will be working alongside a team of qualified divemasters and diving instructors. You will be taking care of certified divers on underwater tours and you will be assisting in the dive training of new open water students.
We’ll also run sessions focusing on underwater navigation, night diving, deep diving and buoyancy. You’ll get to grips with the organizational side of running a dive shop, including customer care, boat logistics, course scheduling etc. All necessary things to be employed as a Divemaster here on Koh Phangan, or anywhere else around the world.
PLEASE NOTE: A full set of diving equipment is required for all professional level diving courses! Diving equipment can either be purchased from ourselves at a discounted rate or you can rent BCD and Regulators for an additional THB 5,000 for the complete duration of your course.
Divemaster course including required PADI materials is only 29,500 THB
Divemaster application fee payable directly to PADI AU$210